21 August, 2009

Italy Day 1



'Flying, queueing, sitting, sleeping and queueing some more'



Alarms rang at 2.30am this morning after a quick power sleep and a huge portion of fish and chips at home. We arrived at the airport early where I'm sure we shared a flight with an old friend of mine from school but wasn't willing to say hello incase it wasn't her and I looked like a raving lunatic.


Our flights are with Alitalia but our aircraft was owned by Air One, a REALLY nice airline and one that I rate over almost all airlines I've flown with before. As it was a short flight there was no entertainment provided. However, what they did have was drinks, snacks, wide leather seats, and leg room fit for a lanky bastard like Adam Murrell. The flight had spare seats so I got a comfortable sleep lying across a couple of seats whilst Yaz and Katie slept (comfortably apparently) lying on the fold down tables.




Right now I'm sat on an uncomfortable airport bench in Rome. We've got a 5 hour stopover here whilst we wait for our connecting flight to Naples. With a limited amount of shops we've been eating, drinking, sleeping, reading, writing and watching.




The people watching is great in airports, I love it. It's almost like a real life drama or soap. I keep seeing scenes that I would love to shoot on really grainy black and white film to document the comings and goings of airport life. Such scenes are inspiring ideas for adverts which I have begun to sketch on the back of napkins and old receipts. Perhaps in the near future you may see some adverts of mine that gained inspiration from this interesting place.



* * * * *


Ha! Now that I come back to finish writing this blog post I find it funny that I rated Alitalia so highly before! When we arrived at Naples we found that they had lost Yaz's bag! We checked each conveyor belt as new plane loads of people flowed through the airport but with no luck. Eventually we had to queue up for a long time and give tedious descriptions and details about the bag and it's contents before being told to go on to the airport and wait for a phone call.


So how wrong I was about Alitalia?! They may have ample leg room but that means nothing if you arrive to find you have no clothes anymore!


No comments:

Post a Comment